Friday, November 8, 2013

Paul Strand

Paul Strand was born on October 16, 1890 in New York City, New York. He became interested in photography when he visited 291 Gallery run by Stieglitz and Steichen. This was a life changing moment for Strand and he realized that he wanted to be a photographer. The moment he decided this, his work was criticized by his high school photo teacher, Lewis Hine, and his later mentor Steiglitz. The criticism greatly strengthened Strand's work and he focused on Movement in the city, abstractions and street portraits.


link
This photo was taken on Wall Street and is a very iconic image. What I love about it is the building and the sidewalk that people are walking on. I think it's one of the most powerful images I've seen.


link
This is an example of Strand's more abstract work which I'm a fan of. The spokes on the wheel are my favorite part because the spaces in between allow for light to add contrast to the image.


link
I think that this is also one of Strand's most popular pieces. I really like the fence but it isn't one of my favorite photos. I like how the fence adds a lightness to the image along with the white house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment