Monday, November 4, 2013

Julia Margaret Cameron

Julia Margaret Cameron enhanced.jpg

Julia Margaret Cameron was born in Britain in 1815. She received her first camera from her daughter and son-in-law as a gift in the hopes that it would entertain her. At the time she was 48 and in the next year she would become a member of the Photographic Societies of London and Scotland. Most of her photos were of soft and dreamy looking portraits. Many of her portraits were of then famous people also. Many of her later life is spent in Sri Lanka, India but unfourtunatly most of her work did not survive. The rest of Cameron's days were lived out in Sri Lanka and she later caught a cold which brought her to her demise.

This photo was a self-portrait of Cameron. What I like about this image is the darkness that swallows her face. It reminds me of a creepy nun.

I noticed that Cameron had done numerous photos of angels but this one is my favorite. The way that the angel looks so morose and the wings, how they cradle the child's head.

I believe this subject was a famous woman, but I'm not quite sure what her name is. I really liked how Cameron was very good at showing emotion in her works and this is a very good example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment