Thursday, November 7, 2013

Edward J. Steichen

Edward J. Steichen was born in Bivange, Luxembourg and was born on March 27, 1879. One year later Steichen's family immigrated to America, then 10 years later settled in Milwaukee. At a young age Steichen was very interested in arts along with his friends and when Steichen and was old enough, him and his friends bought a studio. They called themselves the Milwaukee Art Students League. Steichen started seriously considering photography when he partnered up with Alfred Stieglitz. Anyways, here are my three favorites by Steichen.


link
This image, I believe, was featured in Vogue Magazine and what I like about it is the mirror effect with the two models. It's also great how one is in the white dress while the other is in black. I also just have to say it looks like it's from the 20's so that drew me in, just the way their hair is done, they look so elegant.


link
Simple, just the way I like it. I think that this is a really interesting shot and I would possibly think about recreating an image inspired by this one. It's almost like the series that I did inspired by Tina Modotti with the hands

link
This is probably Steichen's most iconic photo. It's very different with the lace layered over her face. I like how both her face and the lacey fabric are in focus and it just add that special factor in this image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment