Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Second Guessing / Gigantic photo rant / Photo Crisis

I think I'm starting to second guess printing my photos on T shirts because other people in the class are going on to print photos on really alternative things, like printing a photo on a T shirt to me now seems to be more like an arts and crafts like project. I also am second doubting my portfolio, my dog. I feel that it is more towards the fine arts part of photography and I don't want to go towards that path. I really like the one below:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/446c9deb9fb86560d70eae7a25675392/tumblr_mrelm6OHlw1rh9y8wo1_1280.jpg

But I'm worried that if I decide to go down this path with the low contrast and vintage-y vibes that there will be lapses in quality. Personally, I think I would more enjoy photography like the one above because when I do fine arts, I feel that I'm not doing what I what, I'm just doing what others expect. For me, this is a real change and I think it will help me not only develop as an artist, but as a person by doing what I feel is right in my heart. I'm also very interested in nature photography but I understand to have your nature photos stand out you must somehow portray emotions, which I find to be very difficult. I really enjoy taking photos on my phone as opposed to using a DSLR also which might pose a problem quality wise, but people have won gold keys only using their phones. Right now I am definitely in a photo crisis. 
http://25.media.tumblr.com/66b4bb9acb4b90ecd3cc841580952ccf/tumblr_mx3qerJET31rbcubso1_1280.jpg

This kind of ties in so I figure I'll add this into this post also. Last night I was watching the Sochi Olympics, and I'm not the kind of person that votes for the US just because I live here. Germany, Sweden and Russia are the countries that I will always root for, and last night at the Men's Snowboarding Halfpipe thingy the snow was melting, tensions were rising and the point where American, Shaun White possibly might not come home with any medals was a logical thought. But it was amazing because Iouri (pronounced Yuri) Podladchikov, a boy born in Russia, and competing for Switzerland won the gold over Shaun White, whom had made some drastic slip ups (literally, his board didn't land correctly and he fell a few times, shocking.) costing him the medals, but that's beside the point. This young Swiss man, Iouri is also a photographer while his parents are both Mathematicians and believe that "Sports are for dumb people," or something along those lines. His parents dont' believe in his art or his sports and I think that's amazing that he just does what he wants and (super cheesy moment) he follows his heart. (Japan also won silver and bronze for the first time in this event.Two for you, you go Japan.) This was a really strung out and kind of relevant story but I really need to express myself the way that I want. I feel like I just assessed my whole life problems in one blog post. If there was an award for blogging about your Advanced photo problems, then I would win gold for sure. Iouri also has a tumblr blog where you can check out all of his photos if you're interested. Just click HERE

1 comment:

  1. This happens to very intelligent and thoughtful artists... that crisis crossroad. What I can tell you from my side of that big hill you are climbing (called life) is this. FOLLOW YOUR HEART. Be bold and brave. If you want to switch your portfolio and investigate landscape or more straight photography, go for it... seriously. Fill your heart with joy. I wish when everyone told me not to be a photographer because I could paint and draw so well.. the idea that photography is for people who can't do that, that I did not listen to them. I wanted to be a photographer when I was 12. And thanks to listening to others, it took me 40 years to finally follow my dream. Don't let this happen to you. Do what you love without apology.

    ReplyDelete